Oh, the holiday hustle! We run run run towards Christmas like a fat kid chasing some french fries (oh wait…that’s me), and then we just…stop. There’s a meme that says something to the like of, “that week between Christmas and New Year’s where you have no idea of who you are and what you should be doing.” Can I tell you how much I relate to that meme on a personal level? Once the movement of the season is over I don’t know what to do with the stillness. Sometimes it makes me stressed out. Shouldn’t I be busy? What else can I do to prove to everyone that I’m the best mother/wife/daughter/teacher? How can I do as much as possible so I eventually have a nervous breakdown? Ah-hem…
So, if you’re like me and you’re not sure what to do with the stillness, I’ve prepared a very simple energy cleanse for your space and your senses that will help you through the stillness. For me? I need to face the stillness head on and be okay with it. That means I complete a few basic rituals around the house that can be done quickly but provide a long lasting result. Still with me? Here’s what I’ll be doing leading up to January 1.
- Sage, sage, sage: Nothing cleanses your space better than sage or palo santo. If you had a lot of folks in and out of your home like we did, now is the perfect time to sage the rooms and corners. I do the whole house once a month, but this time of year I focus specifically on the kitchen and living rooms where we spent most of our time. Some of my mantras I like to repeat are: “May peace and love enter this room and fill these rooms,” “May only positive energy and light reside here,” or “Cleanse this space of stress and noise and welcome quiet.”
- Playlists: Create a calming playlist with some instrumental or folky songs that chill you out.
- Mountain pose: Can’t fit in a whole practice? Yeah, I can’t either some days. Mountain post lets your energy flow throughout the body freely. Breathe deeply and allow your arms to rise above your head for extra freedom!
- Crystals: Selenite and Clear Quartz are your all purpose pals for cleansing out your space. Keep one in your pocket or on the counter in the rooms used most.
- Cleanse the phone: Clear all notifications and set ALL of your apps (I only leave texts and phone calls on) to off. Remove some of the urgency to constantly connect.
What do you do to cleanse our and reset your mood, space, and intentions? Tell me all the things!