Any good practice has to become a habit and a routine. Working out, eating well, and of course for me using my essential oils. You’re a normal person you say? Yeah, me too, on Mondays. Seriously though, using essential oils on the daily doesn’t have to be super dramatic. In the beginning I was confused: how the heck do I use these things? But after three years of regular use here’s how I use them in my every day life.
First you need some stuff: essential oils (obviously), a diffuser, and a carrier oil. Carrier oil is SO IMPORTANT. Regardless of the brand, mine is doTERRA, you must dilute, dilute, dilute. I use Fractionated Coconut Oil or Jojoba. Even Olive Oil is a great carrier oil. Diluting oils makes them safe for use on babes, dogs, and your friends and family and helps them absorb better while saving you some cash! Don’t use oils neat on the body. Just don’t! /endrant. Now…on to the routine!
Morning: We start our day anywhere between 4-6 a.m. We are up early as Keith and I have to be at work by 7-7:30. Every day we:
- Roll On Guard protective blend on our feet for immune support.
- Roll Lemon and Frankincense on Leo’s feet for immune support (check out my recipe post for littles).
- Wild Orange in the diffuser for about an hour to wake up the house and get us energized: 2-3 drops.
- Balance Grounding Blend or my Mood Support blend on wrists and over heart before leaving for work (Frankincense, Console Blend, Wild Orange).
Throughout the day or depending on what the fam needs I use:
- On Guard in the diffuser for an hour when I get home to clear nasties out of the air.
- Lavender or Lime in the laundry on wool dryer balls.
- Leo’s teething blend if he needs pain relief or tummy blend if needed!
- Serenity Restful blend in the diffuser for our nap times.
We all go to bed pretty early, so we make sure to have a solid relaxation routine in place. At night:
- Leo gets his lullaby blend & immune blend from the morning in the diffuser for an hour and rolled on his feet.
- Keith and I roll Vetiver and Serenity on our feet and on the back of our neck.
- Diffuser pumps 2-3 drops of Serenity or Copaiba if we need respiratory support without eucalyptus!
For cleaning I use the following on the daily: 10 drops On Guard in a spray bottle with 1c. white vinegar, Lemon Oil to remove grease or other crud from electronics or counters.
Overall? Getting into the swing of using them is easy and can be fun. I love making my own blends and recipes for my family’s needs. What recipes or blends would you like to see more of?
Before you say to me “I don’t get snow days…” STOP! Snow days can be any day you’re stuck home. If you live in the North East like I do, that tends to happen more often than not. I used to hate snow days when I lived home. I wanted to see my friends, go to school, and not be stuck with my parents. Now? I’ll take any excuse to stay in my PJ’s, get things done, and hang out with my baby boy and pup. Looking for something productive to do with your time? Here’s what I love doing on my snow days!
- Try a new recipe! When I’m stuck home, I get this weird innate desire to cook. Yeah, me, cook. I know it’s funny. I hate cooking under normal circumstances. But, a snow day gets me inspired to cook something that has a feel good stick to your ribs vibe. I’ve also been known to make a loaf of bread upon the first snow fall. My next crockpot adventure? This delicious and amazing risotto that claims to be easy, cheesy, and all around heavenly. Find a recipe that makes enough for leftovers for the week and lunches are also taken care of. Done, and done!
- Clean out your closet! Anytime I’m stuck inside I get the urge to purge. FORGET about your regular cleaning routine. You can cram that in any other day like you normally do. Or, forget about it and ignore what’s happening in the bathroom. Today is for productive cleaning and downsizing. Take anything out of your closet that you haven’t touched in a year. Donate it. Get it out of the house. Do the same thing for your kid’s room. Toys they haven’t played with? Gone! When you go back to work, drop it off at a donation center and feel ten times lighter!
- Smudge the house: This is something that is productive for ME, so do with it what you will. My house gets heavy sometimes. My husband and I both work, my Mom is here with Leo, and we have company often. So, a lot of energy gets passed through the doors. Sometimes it gets “stuck” and that can change the entire vibe of the home. Grab some white sage, light it, and go through the corners and rooms of your home. I focus on places that hold a lot of electronics in the home as well while saying something positive like, “I release any stagnant energy and welcome fresh light.” Do what speaks to you!
- Grocery Shop: New online places for groceries are popping up all. the. time. I’m obsessed with Amazon Fresh! Their produce is awesome and it’s delivered by USPS. You pick the time and leave the bags on your porch for your mail carrier to pick up. Less waste, less plastic, and no lines.
- Take a Nap: I am my best self when I am well rested. I nap with Leo when I feel like I need it. Have a bunch of kids? My friend builds a giant fort in the living room teepee style and they all nap or rest in it. I don’t care what anyone says; you’re never too old for a nap.
You all already know that I love my essential oils. Of course, now they’re becoming more “mainstream”, and people have been coming to me asking about my “magic potions.” Now, I’m a doTERRA devotee ever since we brought our puppy, Myles, home almost three years ago. Our breeder used oils on all of her dogs and the health benefits were evident. Naturally, Keith and I started using them. Once Leo was over 6 months old, I started using oils on him. First, I diffused them in our bedroom and throughout the house. Now, diffusing is part of our sleepytime routine. Soon after, I started making up rollerball blends that met our needs. I get my labels from small shops to make them special. Here is Leo’s routine/recipes for 10 mL roller bottles:
- Well Baby Blend – 1 drop Frankincense, 1 drop Lemon, top with FCO* – Frank supports total body health in a gentle way and Lemon cleanses and disinfects. I roll this on Leo’s feet morning and night, extra if we go somewhere germy (parties, playdates, large areas with lots of people).
- Chompers Blend – 1 drop Lavender, ! drop Frankincense, 1 Drop Roman Chamomile, top with FCO – Again, Frank is a great all purpose oil. It promotes relaxation and cellular health while Lavender helps swelling and stress! Roman Chamomile also prevents swelling and discomfort. I roll this on Leo’s jawline as needed.
- Lullaby – 1 drop Lavender, 1 drop Frankincense, 1 drop Cedarwood, top with FCO – Lullaby is similar to Chompers, but Cedarwood really helps knock us both out! You can add 1 drop of Copaiba to the feet to soothe any anxious feelings, too.
- Baby Belly – 1 drop Lemon, 1 drop Wild Orange, 1 drop Frankincense, top with FCO. Anytime Leo is a little gassy I roll this around his bellybutton. It works like a charm, however, keep the skin out of the sunlight for 12 hours as citrus oils react to the sunlight!
Of course make sure that you start slow, watch your baby for any signs of allergy, and consult your ped! But my oily baby loves his roller bottles and so do I! What natural care or oils have you used for baby? Yourself? Want to get started and learn more? Get. At. Me!