I’ve been really thinking about mindfulness and self care as my two major goals for the new year. That means a few things for me: putting down the phone, being more present, trying to stress less, and to write every day. Work has been stressful, and I’m really trying to focus my mind and leave work at work. It’s not as easy as I thought it would be (since who really only has ONE job nowadays? Side hustles are what millennial basically do, right?) But, I’m finding that amidst all the noise from momming, wifing, teaching, and writing I can use some tools to help me get where I need to be.
- A blank journal – oh MAN! Yeah, ok, I spend money on notebooks like I’ve got money to spend. But this one was a gift. Keith got it for me when I was three weeks postpartum and having some serious baby blues. I almost threw it at him. I resented that I had just pushed a baby out of my body and he got me a JOURNAL? Fast forward to over a year later? I picked up this journal and felt…something. So, it’s mine now! I’ve been bullet journaling my side projects, meditations, and writing prompts.
- 100 Days of Brave by Annie F. Downs – I needed some prompting with my writing, and now that I’m 23 days in I’m actually looking forward to reading her devotions and reflections on them briefly. This is a God-based book, but it’s not a weird preachy type book. It offers some readings, thoughts, and a good sense of humor. Annie F. Downs is just as neurotic as I am and I’m digging that about her.
- Gabby Bernstein “The Universe Has Got Your Back Deck” – I’m such a weird worshipper and I don’t really care. I love Jesus and God and the Universe as a whole. That’s what feels great to me, which is why I’m obsessed with Gabby B’s cards! I love her books and have used them many times in the past, but her deck of cards gives me a positive affirmation each morning before work. I usually pair it with some type of oil blend on my temples (a citrus usually does the trick.)
- Practice You by Elena Brower – This journal is so exciting to me! My bullet journal is really something for my daily STUFF. This journal is all about ME, so after a year I’ll basically have written a book about myself. The art is gorgeous and the vibe peaceful. Elena Brower is also the mind behind the doTERRA Yoga Collection which is pure magic.
- Crystals – Last up? My “rocks” as Keith calls them. I’ve been really into my saints and my crystals lately. I keep a Green Calcite in my work bag to ward off negative energy with my Saint Theresa medal and calming crystals like Celestite in my bedroom for pleasant dreams. I also keep Leo’s stone, Topaz, close by alone with Citrine, and a few more!
MINDFULNESS IS SO IN! I am OBSESSED with the fact that self care is no longer selfish. I’m going to be prioritizing it this year so I can be the best for my fam. How about you?