Any good practice has to become a habit and a routine. Working out, eating well, and of course for me using my essential oils. You’re a normal person you say? Yeah, me too, on Mondays. Seriously though, using essential oils on the daily doesn’t have to be super dramatic. In the beginning I was confused: how the heck do I use these things? But after three years of regular use here’s how I use them in my every day life.
First you need some stuff: essential oils (obviously), a diffuser, and a carrier oil. Carrier oil is SO IMPORTANT. Regardless of the brand, mine is doTERRA, you must dilute, dilute, dilute. I use Fractionated Coconut Oil or Jojoba. Even Olive Oil is a great carrier oil. Diluting oils makes them safe for use on babes, dogs, and your friends and family and helps them absorb better while saving you some cash! Don’t use oils neat on the body. Just don’t! /endrant. Now…on to the routine!
Morning: We start our day anywhere between 4-6 a.m. We are up early as Keith and I have to be at work by 7-7:30. Every day we:
- Roll On Guard protective blend on our feet for immune support.
- Roll Lemon and Frankincense on Leo’s feet for immune support (check out my recipe post for littles).
- Wild Orange in the diffuser for about an hour to wake up the house and get us energized: 2-3 drops.
- Balance Grounding Blend or my Mood Support blend on wrists and over heart before leaving for work (Frankincense, Console Blend, Wild Orange).
Throughout the day or depending on what the fam needs I use:
- On Guard in the diffuser for an hour when I get home to clear nasties out of the air.
- Lavender or Lime in the laundry on wool dryer balls.
- Leo’s teething blend if he needs pain relief or tummy blend if needed!
- Serenity Restful blend in the diffuser for our nap times.
We all go to bed pretty early, so we make sure to have a solid relaxation routine in place. At night:
- Leo gets his lullaby blend & immune blend from the morning in the diffuser for an hour and rolled on his feet.
- Keith and I roll Vetiver and Serenity on our feet and on the back of our neck.
- Diffuser pumps 2-3 drops of Serenity or Copaiba if we need respiratory support without eucalyptus!
For cleaning I use the following on the daily: 10 drops On Guard in a spray bottle with 1c. white vinegar, Lemon Oil to remove grease or other crud from electronics or counters.
Overall? Getting into the swing of using them is easy and can be fun. I love making my own blends and recipes for my family’s needs. What recipes or blends would you like to see more of?